Brody Kane Attorney

The official blog of McBrien & Kane, a Lebanon, Tennessee law office.

  • Home
    Home This is where you can find all the blog posts throughout the site.
  • Categories
    Categories Displays a list of categories from this blog.
  • Tags
    Tags Displays a list of tags that have been used in the blog.
  • Bloggers
    Bloggers Search for your favorite blogger from this site.
  • Team Blogs
    Team Blogs Find your favorite team blogs here.
  • Login
    Login Login form


Posted by on in McBrien & Kane Blog
  • Font size: Larger Smaller
  • Hits: 2516
  • Subscribe to this entry
  • Print
  • PDF

Sometimes you just don’t care for your given name. And in those cases, your name can be changed with a one-time Court appearance.

A Petition For Name Change is required as well as a Court Order.

Under oath, in front of the Judge, your attorney will ask you some questions regarding your desire to change your name and will insure you are not doing so to avoid debts or crimes. So long as the Judge approves your Petition in Wilson County, Smith County or Macon County, your name can be legally changed.

After Court you will receive a Certified Copy of your Order of Name Change. This document can then be delivered to the State to change your birth certificate, change your driver’s license and change any other documents or licenses that reflect your name.

If you are the custodial parent of a child, and choose to change your child’s name, that also can be accomplished with a Petition. In some cases, depending on the circumstances of your case, the Court may even allow you to change the last name of your child, without an adoption of that child by another parent. 

Finally, often during a divorce a spouse will want to return to a former name. This can either be accomplished in the Final Decree of Divorce, at the time of the divorce, or later down the road. Your spouse can not legally stop you from taking your previous name back, nor can he force you to give up his name. 

BRODY KANE has been practicing since 1995. A graduate of the University Of Memphis Law School, Brody has practiced in Memphis and Lebanon, Tennessee. While in law school Brody served as a judicial law clerk to the Shelby County Criminal Judges.


Lebanon Wilson County Chamber of CommerceTennessee Bar Association